Friday, January 9, 2009

My Favorite Indonesian Snacks

A few months back I posted about my favorite Dutch snacks, so I thought I'd do an encore to that post with my favorite Indonesian snacks as well as a post about my favorite Midwest/Southern snacks. By the way, thanks to Tante Leen who went to Holland in November, over the holidays I got to divulge in 2 packages of Dutch stroopwafels...yum!
NASI GORENG
Nasi Goreng is Indonesian Fried Rice. Growing up it seemed like we would eat it at least weekly as whenever mom would have left over rice or leftover meats, she would make nasi goreng. It includes sauteed bacon and onions, fried or scrambled eggs, carrots and peas, meat (beef, chicken, or shrimp - when out of those we would even use hot dogs), soy sauce, salt & pepper and Indonesian spices. When I got married, my mom passed on her recipe to me so I make it for Stephen and the kids. Stephen loves to eat it with Sambal (hot chili paste).

PANGSEET
Pangseet is an Indonesian appetizer, also known as fried won tons. Growing up we'd often make these for parties. My mom would make them with a pork meat filling, wrapped in won ton skins and then fry them in oil. Served with either Indonesian sweet kechup or sweet chili sauce for dipping.
The last time we made these was back in Oregon...Mom, Madeline and I made them for Greet's 80th birthday party.

KROEPOEK
Krupuk, kerupuk, or kroepoek in Indonesian are also known as Shrimp Chips or Deep Fried Crackers. We'd always make them to accompany a big Indonesian dinner. Countless varieties of krupuk exist, using various varieties of seafood. They are very addictive (like potato chips) you can't just eat one! I like to eat them with my nasi goreng and scoop my rice with them.

CENDOL
Cendol [pronounced 'chen-doll'] or es cendol is a traditional dessert originating from Java, Indonesia. I love this drink, but oddly enough eat it with a spoon. It consists of shaved ice, coconut milk, starch noodles with green food coloring and palm sugar. Stephen thinks I'm nuts whenever he sees me have this. :)
BANDUNG
I never called this drink Bandung, but Rosastroop (probably the Dutch name). It's an Indonesian drink usually made with milk (or evaporated milk) mixed with sweet rose flavored syrup. It smells Rosy but definitely doesn't taste flowery. Sometimes we would mix it with ice water. Tason and I loved this stuff. I haven't had it in years!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!

I saw that you and your family love indonesian food:) In case you want to enjoy Indonesian snacks at anytime, we can send you our products - Java Snacks. There are keripik tempe, kerupuk ceker, sale pisang, etc. Just contact us and I will give you the catalog and any information that you need to know, snacksofjava@gmail.com

Thank You.

Eka Pmungkas (Owner Java Snacks)

Anonymous said...

Memories! My mom used to make nasi goreng all the time! And I just recently introduced the shrimp chips to my husband and in-laws and they didn't care for them!...oh well, more for me! :)