Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Favorite Dutch Snacks

I just recently joined a Dutch group on Facebook and one of the discussions on the bulletin board was, "Favorite Dutch Food". Boy after reading through this discussion it got my taste buds watering! And it doesn't help that it's finally beginning to feel like Fall weather here in Texas, for me cold weather = eat lots of food! :-)

So I thought it would be fun to make a blog post about my favorite Dutch snacks, displaying some photos and details about them (so my non-Dutch family and friends get an idea of what the heck I'm talking about!). And then I'd like my commenter's to leave a comment listing their favorite "heritage" snacks - and yes that can mean American snacks/food!

STROOPWAFEL
or SYRUP WAFFLE or CARAMEL COOKIE Dutch for “syrup waffle,” stroopwafels are Dutch cookies made from two round waffle-like wafers with a sweet syrup or caramel filling in the middle. Stroopwafels are an old Dutch treat, invented in Gouda in 1784. The traditional way to eat them is with a cup of coffee, tea or cocoa. Just before it is eaten, the stroopwafel is placed on top of the hot cup in order to soften it up; the filling melts, and scents of cinnamon and nutmeg are released into the air.
KROKETS
Kroket, Croquet or Croquette. It was always believed to be invented by the Dutch, but it was based on a French concept: "Ragout". Nevertheless the Dutch were persistent and moulded the precious French Jewel into a more commercial form. A Kroket is, if prepared correctly, some ragout, mixed with for example Beef or Chicken, given extra finesse by the addition of special herbs. This ragout is surrounded by a crispy layer of breadcrumbs. I like to eat mine with a dollop of mustard on top!
PATAT met fritesaus
Translated...french fries with Dutch mayonnaise sauce! Also called frites sometimes, this is the quintessential Dutch fast food. Often served in a sno-cone with sauce on top. Sometimes served with a gravy sauce (poutine). Whenever Stephen would order these in Holland, he'd still ask for ketchup! LOL

OLIEBOLLEN
Oliebollen (literally oil balls) are traditionally eaten on New Year's Eve. That's when my mom would make them. It's a round dough that is fried (much like a doughnut), sometimes made with raisins, and sprinkled with powdered sugar. YUMMY!


HAGELSLAG
Commonly known in Holland as Puur Chocolade Muisjes or Hagel or Dark Chocolate Sprinkles. How I grew up eating them...sprinkled on a piece of lightly buttered bread.
I wonder what American food/snacks I would long for if I lived out of the States? Hhhmm, maybe in another blog post. Okay time for you to comment and list yours!

9 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Melissa! I dont know if you know but my uncle and his family lived in Holland for a while when I was younger and my mom went to visit quite a few times. We ate those things too as kids! My mom would order them straight from Holland OR my uncle would send it... fresh Stroopwafels... HEAVEN. I love those things, I could eat a whole package with my hot cocoa!

Jordan and Michaela Spence said...

They all look so yummy! I don't think I've ever tried any "authentic" Dutch food though. Did you live in Holland? How do you know so much about it?? Those stroopwafel's look delicious!

Jordan and Michaela Spence said...

They all look so yummy! I don't think I've ever tried any "authentic" Dutch food though. Did you live in Holland? How do you know so much about it?? Those stroopwafel's look delicious!

Spence Ohana said...

Unfortunately there's not an abundance of authentic Dutch stores or restaurants here in the States. My family is Dutch. My parents grew up in Holland. We speak Dutch (well my parents do, I don't like to because I sound quite funny with my accent - but I understand it fully). And growing up with my Dad working for TWA, we flew many times and made trips to Holland.

Anonymous said...

I would go crazy missing my daily HAGELSLAG :-) But i think i have a solution just e-mail rachel your order :-)

Greetz,

Jan Melle
(from holland)

steve said...

Those all look so good. I would like to try each of them. My favorite snack - The good old fashioned Hotdog.

Anonymous said...

Well...
fresh or just packed stroopwafels.. they are mouthwatering! I don't want to tease to much, but you can buy here a double sized freshly made stroopwafel with hot stroop dripping out of it...

Unknown said...

Man oh man, I can just taste it on my lips now. I love to eat them all, but you forgot the All Time Favorite. Well at least my favorite, "The Friekendel with special sauce" It's kind of what the Big Mac is to the American. Just makes me want to jump on a plane and fly to Holland tommorrow. Oh well, one can dream. Guess I'll just have to eat a Hot Dog for now and pretend that it taste like a Friekendel. Been there, done that. Definately not the same. Holland here I come! Thanks Melissa for making me crave those good eats from Holland. That's so wrong! I forgive you! LOL

Armilyn and David said...

Melissa's brother here: Olieballen are extremely similar in taste and texture to funnel cakes found at many a US county fair or theme park. Except a lot of olieballen have raisins or other fruit in them, which I can't stand.

The kroket in America, even through Dutch stores, pale in comparison to the ones you can get in Holland.

Fries with mayonnaise rock. I don't care what they said in Pulp Fiction.

I would miss In-and-Out burger, Mexican food, and ice in drinks if I lived in Holland.