Friday, January 9, 2009

My Favorite Midwestern/Southern Snacks

As an encore to my Favorite Dutch and Indonesian Snacks, here are my Favorite Midwestern/Southern Snacks. Before I had met Stephen, I hadn't had any of these!
MALT
Of course I had milkshakes, but I never had a malt! At mom and dad Spence's we used to make homemade malts in the blender with ice cream, milk and malt mix. The malt powder gives the shake a distinct taste. We'd also add chocolate syrup. They were supper yummy!

SPOON FUDGE
Mom Spence would always make this delicious spoon/soft fudge around the holidays. You would eat it right after she was done making it while it was still hot, creamy and soft. But even after it cooled and hardened it was still really good! Just recently I received her special recipe, but haven't tried making it yet, I'm afraid it won't turn out the same!

BISCUITS & GRAVY
Hands down anytime we go out to breakfast my husband orders this dish, with extra sausage. I've always been more a sweet tooth breakfast kinda gal, but I have to say I really like this dish. I even make it at home, baking homemade buttermilk biscuits, with a sausage based gravy, and sausage links.

CHIPPED BEEF ON TOAST
I know it doesn't look very appetizing, but it is! It consists of dried beef, white cream sauce and toast. Mom Spence would make Chipped Beef on Toast for dinner, it was a favorite of Stephen's brother Bryce, and it was always real tasty! I've found a recipe and will have to attempt to make it, I think our kids would love it.

CHERRY COBBLER
This dessert is so delicious and fulfilling. You have to eat it right out of the oven, served with vanilla ice cream! Mom Spence would make it at parties, very easy to make. Using a can of cherry pie filling sprinkled with jiffy yellow cake mixed and drizzled with a stick of melted butter, bake it in the oven and WA la!

1 comment:

andria said...

Yum! If you don't mind sharing, I would love a few of these recipes...let me know.