Friday, August 31, 2012

Timbers!

This Fall we decided to sign both the kids up for soccer. We thought if anything it would be good exercise. This is Madeline's first time playing a team sport. So we asked her best friend Ashleigh if she wanted to play too. They are both on the AYSO U10 Timbers team! 
And first practice was last night.

Coach Russo seems like a very kind and patient coach. There are 5 boys and 5 girls on the team including coach's son & daughter. You can tell they are a soccer family and are all very well trained. He took the time to show them different ball drills to get comfortable with the ball and how those drills could be used in a game.

Here Coach is explaining to Madeline how to properly throw the ball into the game.

 She listens and does it right!

 They had to partner up doing this drill, so obviously Madeline & Ashleigh picked each other. Here is Ashleigh throwing the ball in.
Madeline said she really enjoyed soccer practice even though she sweat and got tired. :) Stephen and I were really proud of her cause we could tell she was really trying hard, practicing the drills, keeping up a hustle at the end. She's looking forward to the next practice.

*Side note. During practice I needed to use the restroom. As I was walking on the pathway towards the restrooms these kids passed me by on scooters. An older boy on an electrical scooter, followed by his younger brother & sister who were riding together on a regular scooter. I remember thinking to myself that they were going fast, barefoot with no helmets. And then they crashed, both fell and hit the cement pathway hard. The little boy immediately starting crying and the little girl screaming for her mom. I jogged over to them and that is when I noticed the blood. Gushing down the back of the boy's head. Their mom was probably 50 yards away, so I stopped them, told the girl to get her mom. I made the boy stand still holding his bleeding head. He actually got mad at me for not letting him run to his mom and hit my arm, but there was so much blood gushing out I didn't want him to move much. I don't think the mom realized he cracked his head open until she got up close and saw the blood. She had a look of shock. She picked up her boy and we headed towards the restrooms. A worker their had keys to their room with first aid and brought them there. I'm not sure what happened to him after that. I'm sure she took him to the hospital to get stitches. Poor little guy. I hope he's okay. So please remember, have your kids wear their helmets when riding their bikes and scooters.

2 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

THat is fun and exciting for Madeline! I bet she'll love soccer with her friends. Yes, it's ALWAYS better to go into the unknown with a friend too so smart move there.

Amen to the helmet thing. My Dad was so strict growing up that we couldn't ride or scoot with out closed toe shoes on too since our feet were so close to gears etc. For the record Ty has his helmet on all the time. :) You are a good Samaritan for helping when blood is involved.

Unknown said...

So glad you guys are having fun! :)