Wednesday, July 18, 2012

His Amazing Grace

1945 U.S. Marines receive Communion from a Marine chaplain on Iwo Jima. 
On War: Joe Rosenthal and Iwo Jima, War pics

My friend shared this photo on her Facebook yesterday saying it was so beautiful, and I have to agree. As a Catholic sometimes I feel it's difficult to explain the indescribable love I receive from Communion, the Eucharist, to a non-Catholic. The Church teaches that Christ is truly present; His real body, blood, soul and divinity in the bread and wine offered daily at Mass. It's not just a symbol. The Early Church Fathers and Early Christians believed this, and this teaching has remained through today. Christ desires to be One with us, and through receiving Him in Communion we do become One.
A mystery of Faith...so thankful for His Amazing Grace.

 In Holy Communion we live the words of Jesus who said, "Abide in Me and I in you." (John 15:4) With Jesus abiding in us we have the strength to do good and avoid evil, and to help others to do the same. The Eucharist is to the Church what our heart is to our body. The Eucharist keeps the Church alive. The Eucharist is the heart of the Mystical Body of Christ.

Those persons baptized into the mystical Body of Christ can receive Communion daily, it is offered in every Catholic Church around the world, every day. Priests can also bring the Eucharist to those in need, those suffering, those nearing death. I bet these Marines in this photo were SO thankful to receive Christ at a time of utter chaos, despair and terror. I know the grace they received brought them comfort and strength.

Here are some beautiful quotes about the Eucharist...


"In a world where there is so much noise, so much bewilderment, there is a need for silent adoration of Jesus concealed in the Host. Be assiduous in the prayer of adoration and teach it to the faithful. It is a source of comfort and light, particularly to those who are suffering." Pope Benedict XVI 

 "What does the poor man do at the rich man’s door, the sick man in the presence of his physician, the thirsty man at a limpid stream? What they do, I do before the Eucharistic God. I pray. I adore. I love." St. Francis of Assisi 

"Unless we believe and see Jesus in the appearance of bread on the altar, we will not be able to see him in the distressing disguise of the poor." Mother Teresa 

"The Blessed Eucharist is the perfect Sacrament of the Lord’s Passion, since It contains Christ Himself and his Passion." St. Thomas Aquinas 

 "When we go before the Blessed Sacrament, let us open our heart; our good God will open His. We shall go to Him; He will come to us; the one to ask, the other to receive. It will be like a breath from one to the other." St. John Vianney 

 "Christ has no body now but mine. He prays in me, works in me, looks through my eyes, speaks through my words, works through my hands, walks with my feet and loves with my heart." St. Teresa of Avila 

 "If angels could be jealous of men, they would be so for one reason: Holy Communion." St. Maximilian Kolbe 

"With all the strength of my soul I urge you young people to approach the Communion table as often as you can. Feed on this bread of angels whence you will draw all the energy you need to fight inner battles. Because true happiness, dear friends, does not consist in the pleasures of the world or in earthly things, but in peace of conscience, which we have only if we are pure in heart and mind." Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati

1 comment:

Christina said...

This picture gave me chills! Loved the quotes too. I have googled Eucharist quotes many times but never found some of the ones you shared here. Thanks! :D