Monday, March 12, 2012

All evil needs is for good people to do nothing...


Today on Facebook the Catholic Church page made a post that really struck a chord with me. 
The post said,


We are all sinners right? Of course, thus why we need Christ our Savior. But as believers in Christ, as Christians, we are called and commanded to try to live and follow a path of goodness. We will all fail at times. But we should all have genuine concern for our family and friends when we see that their thinking and acting is contrary to the Truth. We should be moved by love to warn them and shouldn't back down because of human regard or purely personal convenience or adapt to the prevailing mentality.

How many of you have felt appalled by something a family or friend did, said or posted about? I'm sure most of us have experienced this, I know I have on several occasions. Most of us will probably not say anything, just ignore what was said or done...but as Christians is that really showing our love and mercy like God has called us to? Are we letting evil invade our lives because we don't want to feel awkward? 

I think the Pope said it best when he told us we should never be moved by a spirit of accusation or recrimination, we should always be moved by love and mercy. And our warnings should spring from a genuine concern for the good of the other. Granted it's not guaranteed your warnings will be received well even if done out of love and concern (this has happened to me, but I have no regrets because I know I gave warning out of love and genuine concern). No one wants to hear they are not doing the right thing. They may get upset at you. Don't back down, your loving efforts may help a soul get back on the path to goodness and truth! 



1 comment:

Mickie and Matt said...

Amen, along with the Love and Mercy I think warnings should be done IN PRIVATE. If possible face to face or over the phone so nothing can be left to chance on what you mean. All too often using technology you don't understand the tone of the message. Was it sarcastic? Joking? Real? If you do it in person you can explain more fully and the person can feel and see the love you want to convey.

I like to try to live after the motto, "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." Taken from Paul's admonition in Phil. 4:8 and I try to help those around me strive for the same thing.