Sunday, November 6, 2011

moth balls keep the snakes away

So I believe the count is up to 5+ rattlesnakes seen/killed on our cul-de-sac. YIKES! 4 of our neighbors have found them in their yards. This is not comforting. I sat the kids down and we looked at you tube videos of rattlesnakes, the sounds they make and how they strike and bite you. Our pest control rep came out last week and I spoke to him about snake repellents. He said they used to offer for a $25 charge putting down "Snake Away" granules. But he said you could purchase it yourself for less at Home Depot. He did give me a tip though. He said with the Snake Away you have to keep reapplying as the scent fades away quickly (within a couple of days, especially if it rains or you water the lawn a lot). He said moth balls last longer (several weeks or so). The scent disrupts the snake's sensory reception. This disorientation causes the snake to slither away unharmed, in search of fresh air. But since moth balls can be poisonous to kids and pets if ingested he said you could put them in canning jars with air holes on top and place those around your yard. He suggested getting them at Walmart for cheap. I bought a $4 box of moth balls, and a 12-pack of Better Homes canning jars for $6 at Walmart.

I placed about 6-8 moth balls in each jar. After screwing on the lid I drilled about 8 holes on top.

I placed a jar by my front and back doors. In my front planter. And all along our fence line in our front and backyard. I am really hoping and praying these help repel these snakes....


3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Moth Balls eh? Who'd a thought? I hope they help too! Good call showing the kids what they look like and sound like.

P.S. Love the bloggy makeover with the Damask

Justine and Fernando said...

Scary! Yeah I'd be canning those moth balls so fast too. Hopefully that'll do it!

Unknown said...

EEEEKKKK!

I'd be so scared if those snakes showed up in my yard! Good luck keeping them out!