Friday, July 29, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (volume 7)


- 1 -

Aren't these cute? Apple slices with mini marshmallows, and I think you could use caramel or peanut butter to make them stick. I'm going to have to try to make these for the kids, maybe it will get James to start eating apples - the kid just doesn't like them, who doesn't like apples! Anyway, found this on Pinterest while searching for teeth images to put with this post about our dental updates. So Madeline's big $1800 (our patient responsibility after insurance is $475) procedure of a tooth extraction, crown and fillings, and sealant is scheduled for the 9th. Want to get this all done before school starts. James also has a cleaning appointment this Monday with our new pediatric dentist. Praying he doesn't have the same luck as his sister with his baby teeth. At his last check up 6 months ago he had no cavities.

 - 2 -
I have a question because I have been dealing with this topic of late...as Christians is it our responsibility to address immoral behavior of others who are close to us (meaning family & friends)? Especially if they claim to be a Christian as well. Awkward right? Judge not? Does the Scriptures really teach us not to judge others? "Judge not, that you not be judged." Most people will stop there. If we look at the next verse, "For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get." it becomes clear that Jesus was not telling his disciples that they could not ever judge the behavior of others. Rather, he was cautioning them to live righteous lives themselves so that their judgment of others’ behavior would not be rash judgment and their efforts would be effective in admonishing their neighbors. Jesus indeed expects his disciples to judge but he warns that they, too, will be judged in a like manner. (So you better do it with a loving heart!) Paul shows us in 1 Cor. 5:12-13 as Christians we are to show another if they are at fault of immoral behavior/sinning in efforts to drive out the wickedness. 

- 3 -
The tricky part about judging those close to us is to deal with it in a loving way. I mean what if they were showing behaviors that exhibited drug or alcohol abuse - you'd definitely reach out and judge those behaviors in efforts to drive that abuse away and help the person. So why hold back when it's an immoral behavior that is constantly exhibited - is their spiritual well-being not as important as their physical well-being? It should be more important shouldn't it? So often when we come across judgemental to those close to us, they will defensively fire back with, "I’m not judging you and you shouldn’t be judging me." But in reality they are making a judgmental decision that the reason you are doing this is unloving, putting them down, and being unkind - yet as Christians we are doing this with one reason: love. And that love comes from the Holy Spirit within us and working through us. 

"there has to be a vital participation, coming from the depths of the heart, in the holiness and the mercy and the love of our God. Only the Spirit by whom we live can make ‘ours’ the same mind that was in Christ Jesus" (CCC 2842) 

- 4 -
My advice, don't hesitate to reach out to someone close to you if they are exhibiting habitual immoral behavior - their spirituality may be in great danger! It's about your heart and the work of the Holy Spirit within you - do you turn Him down in using you as an instrument in fear of making things awkward? With my situation it did result in awkwardness, even communication ties cut. It's sad this person saw my reasoning for bringing all this up as unloving and unkind. But I don't regret doing it - because I did it with a loving heart. Hopefully a seed was planted.

- 5 -
Okay now let's talk about food for our souls...um I mean grumbling tummies. :) So I marked this recipe by the Pioneer Woman to try this weekend, Grilled Chicken & Pineapple quesadillas. I even bought a "pointy pineapple" as James calls them ("Be careful mom!"). So cousin Mickie called last night. I shared this recipe with her on her Facebook wall last week as I had remembered them raving about grilled pineapples so I thought they would appreciate this recipe. She made this last night and her hubby gave it 3 thumbs up...it was that good she said. I'm hungry now just posting about it. Can't wait to try it.

- 6 -
I dare all my pregnant mommy friends to recreate this photo! LOL I should have totally done this with Stephen.

- 7 -
Here's a flower for all my avid blog readers and the thoughtful comments you leave on my blog (I love getting them!). Hope it brings a smile to your face and kick starts a happy, fun weekend!

1 comment:

Mickie and Matt said...

Yes three thumbs up is right. That was so good! My B.I.L. ate my left overs last night and about died and went to heaven too! Thanks again for the awesome recipe!

So I too have been struggling with the judge not, lest you be judged. HOW do I talk to this person lovingly and tell them their terrible decisions effect EVERYONE not just them...Blah. Maybe someday i'll get up the nerve and do it as kindly as possible.

Oh and p.s. those apples are cute.