Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sisterhood Club

I was feeling nostalgic today after something Madeline said to me and also watching the movie, "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". If you haven't seen this movie starring Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd and other great actresses, I urge you to. I think it's a great movie! And you can stream it instantly on Netflix. Now I don't know about all of you, but I have bittersweet memories of my past childhood girl friends. I probably had only about 4 or 5 close best friends growing up and they all hold a special place in my heart. I will cherish all the memories I made with them. Memories of playing dress up in my mom's silk gowns, memories of swimming every summer day and pretending we were mermaids, memories of painting our nails and doing our hair, memories of late evenings playing at the park or hide'n'seek with the boys, memories making up clubs and telling secrets. I really was so fortunate to grow up with some great girls. Thanks to writing pen pal letters through the years, visits as we moved away, and Facebook I am still in touch with these ladies. When I see Madeline with her old and new childhood girl friends, I think about where they will all be in 20 years.

So today Madeline tells me that a girl in class not only has the same sweater Oma and Opa just recently bought her, but she also has the same lunch bag too! I asked if she was friends with this classmate and she said they played together at recess every day and that they were in a CLUB together. "Club!" I said, "what sort of club is this?" I asked. Madeline said her and this girl, along with 4 other girls at school are in a special club together and they meet at recess every day. I asked if their club had a name. "Not yet" she told me. "What about a club leader?" I asked. Yes they had one of those. I just chuckled and that's when I had the nostalgic feelings. Sisterhood, sisterly relationships, I think are one of the best kind of relationships because together we can share conditions, experiences, concerns and create such strong bonds. Below are some pictures of Madeline with her girl friends...




No comments: