Thursday, March 4, 2010

Small Successes Thursday

FaithButton
It’s important for moms to recognize that all the small successes in our days can add up to one big triumph. So on Thursday of each week, we do exactly that. To participate, just write up a list of 3 of your recent Small Successes and post it on your blog.

1. I didn't hold back the tears. Sometimes as a wife and mother I feel like I need to hold back some of my emotions, not because I feel like I can't share my feelings with Stephen and the kids but because I want to be strong but a barrier I need to break sometimes. On Sunday when I was relaying the sad news to Stephen that one of my dad's best friends passed away, I couldn't hold back my tears. I was so deeply sad, not for my Oom Karel (may his soul rest in peace), but for his wife and daughters. I imagined the grief they were feeling as if I knew how I would feel if my dad passed away so unexpectedly. Thank goodness for God's amazing grace and comfort (and the big bear hug my hubby gave me), it eventually helps wipe away the tears.


My parents wedding, Oom Karel on the far right.


A picture I took 5.5 years ago of Oom Karel with his youngest daughter, Natasha.

2. I've been procrastinating potty training James, so I set a goal this week to start our potty training marathon weekend TOMORROW. I just keep reminding myself "no kid goes to college still being in diapers"...well I guess unless they are a 90 year old student aspiring to get the degree they never got as a young adult. LOL

3. Instead of sticking to our normal busy routine, I took some time to soak in some sunlight and rock with my kids on our front porch to talk to Madeline about her school day.

2 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Oh man if I cried everytime I felt like it I would about 10 times a day. I am really good at holding back the tears, but sometimes as you found out its good to just LET THOSE TEARS FLOW!

Good luck with James! You can do it!

I wish it was warm enough here for me to sit on our porch and soak the sun up, it's cold and windy, but not snowy so I should just count my blessings :)

Good post!

ViolinMama said...

This is a fantastic post! Good for you releasing pain and tears, we all need to. I'm so sorry for your loss and their loss.

#3 sounds so nice. I need to do that more too.

Much love!