Saturday, January 5, 2013

ER Visit

On the eve of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton's feast day in the Church I found myself in the ER of a Seton hospital. She must have been interceding in prayer for me along with family and friends because thanks be to God I didn't have to be hospitalized like 2 years ago. I am still resting at home but hope to feel well enough to return to work tomorrow. I posted on FB what happened:

Melissa Nix Spence Thank you everyone! I am home now. I'm telling you it was like déjà vu of what happened to me 2 years ago when I was hospitalized for pneumonia. This time I really thought my cold/cough was mild and spent most of this week resting at home. Yesterday around 3:30am I woke with what I thought were the shivers. I told Stephen to still head to work (he was up getting ready to leave) but I did feel like this felt all too similar to what happened last time. I stayed up shaking for the next hour or two and called around to see if any urgent cares were open. Then I called and spoke with a nurse at the ER. During that conversation I started vomiting.  He suggested I go to the ER. I felt SO terrible to call my neighbors and wake them up, but I didn't know what to do with Stephen gone. Woke the kids up who were frightened and sent them next door, thank youKristen McCommas for watching them! And thank you to her hubby,Garrett McCommas who drove me to the hospital in the wee hours of the morning. When I was admitted I had a temp of 103.5 and they said my body was in shock and shaking because of the fever. My heart was racing so they did an EKG. They also took a chest x-ray and flu swabs. I have pneumonia again in my left lung.  I spent nearly 8 hours at the hospital given 3-4 liters of fluids and antibiotics. My heart rate wouldn't go down again like last time and stayed in the 125's. Doc said he needed to see that come down or he couldn't release me. I was praying that it would come down so I wouldn't have to be hospitalized. It finally did. Thank you to all of our friends who live locally that reached out to help with the kids and to Jimmena Wrightfor coming by the hospital and taking the kids for several hours. And of course thank you to my hubby Steve R. Spence for taking care of me yesterday. Feeling much better this morning. I have to check in with my regular doc next week after I finish my antibiotics and if need be see a Pulmonary specialist. Thanks for all the calls and texts from family and friends, it means a lot!


Sassy Sarah said...

Oh my gosh. Get well soon!!!

Prayers for a quick recovery!

andria said...

I missed this post on FB! I didn't realize just how bad your symptoms were before you headed to the hospital. Still praying for you!