Saturday, December 15, 2012

He's well... they aren't

Taken by James himself with his V-tech camera :)

So I don't think I will ever forget James' 6 year well check up that happened Friday 12/14. My 6 year old kindergartner is doing well, he's 47" tall and weighs 46lbs. following the growth chart perfectly! He flinched when the doctor looked inside his ear, and giggled with she tapped his knees to check his reflexes. We talked about his picky eating, his speech and his sleep walking. And when we left the office visit he picked out a sticker of a race car. 


Thankful. My child is well. Devastated because on this very same day 20 other children, many of them 6 and in kindergarten like James, had their lives taken from them. No more well check ups for their parents to take them to. No more learning how to read and write in school. Their families will never hear them giggle again. Heartfelt grief is how I am feeling.

Candles light up a memorial outside of Saint Rose of Lima Church in Newtown.

I share with millions of others in closeness in prayer to the victims and their families. Like the Pope conveyed in his message yesterday I too ask, "God, our Father, to console allthose who mourn and to sustain the entire community with the spiritual strength which triumphs over violence by the power of forgiveness, hope and reconciling love."

What saddens me is knowing that those young children were experiencing terror and fear in their last moments. What brings me peace is knowing they are now experiencing eternal joy with our Lord. 

No comments: