Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Family Heirloom

In popular usage, an heirloom is something, perhaps an antique or some kind of jewelry, that has been passed down for generations through family members. Above is an old photo of me when I was about 4 or 5 and I am wearing my "armband" (Dutch for bracelet) that my Oma (my Dad's mom) gave me. I wore that bracelet for several years and it finally got too small I had to get it cut off and then repaired. My parents saved it for me, and when I had Madeline I passed it on to her to wear. 
I put the bracelet on Madeline when she was about 1. Since it was made of gold and fit without falling off, I left it on her all the time. She slept and bathed with it on.
Here she is at 1 year old wearing it...

Here she is at 2 still wearing the bracelet...

Here she is at 4 still wearing the bracelet...

And here she is this summer at 6 still wearing the bracelet. She's so used to having it on, it's just become apart of her. So this weekend when we finally had it cut off (it got too small over the past year to slide it off her wrist and over her hand) she was sad and missed it when it came off. She said at night time in bed she is used to rubbing her arm and feeling her bracelet. So we had it repaired so if Madeline ever has a daughter or granddaughter, she can pass on this special family heirloom to her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really neat! Thanks for sharing that special story with us.

Justine and Fernando said...

How sweet. What a treasure to keep. I love these pics too!

Kristin said...

What a great tradition!

Anonymous said...

wow! how special. I would love to start something like that with my daughter.