Friday, November 5, 2010

1978

Those of you that are still connected to the surfing world or some of you may have caught the recent news about a 3 time World Surf champion passing away earlier this week. He died at the age of 32, he was born the same year as me 1978. So young. So sad.

Growing up near the beaches in Southern California, I think I can say I was a surfer girl for most of my pre-teen and teen years. I remember watching my cousins in Hawaii go body boarding. I remember my own brother being on the surf team at school. I remember going to the beach with my best friend and watching the surfers. Robyn's dad had a beach house in Newport. So we were around the surf culture a lot. Above is Robyn and I meeting pro surfer Rob Machado back in 1994. Robyn and I used to go to the Op Pro surf competition every year. But after high school, and dating my jock boyfriend (now husband :) I got out of the surf scene. And after moving away from California I didn't really keep up with the Surfing World like I used to. So when I heard that Andy Irons died this week, I wasn't too familiar with him. But none the less, I feel sadness for him and his family, and the surf fans inspired by him.


Andy Irons Tribute from Brian Bielmann from M. Scott Mortensen on Vimeo.
This is a beautiful slideshow of Andy Irons. It brought back memories of beach life, I miss it. I especially love the photos of him and his wife. They are expecting their first child, so sad he won't be here for his child. Andy actually passed away here in Dallas Texas on a layover. It's specualted he was battling dengue fever which he may have caught Puerto Rico. He was there for a surf competition but fell ill. He checked into a hotel here in Dallas and passed away there. His short life here on Earth is a reminder that life is too short. It's by God's grace we are here with our loved ones, but none of us know for how long. So cherish your time.

“Family means too much, Friends are too valuable, And life is too short, To put-off sharing with people, How much they really mean to you, And pursuing whatever it is that makes you happy.”

No comments: